Welcome to the Carnival of Breastfeeding!
What I wished I would have known about breastfeeding was that it was a love story filled with moments of hate.
Nursing was so much more wonderful that the perfunctory feeding of my child that I had anticipated. ?No one I knew could have explained how the hormones would course through my body and make me want to sit and do nothing but stare into the abyss of my child’s eyes or stroke their soft skin for hours on end. ?I hated that people tried to tell me horror stories about breastfeeding, they totally spoiled the lead in to what was a beautiful thing.
I also hated what surrounded breastfeeding. ?For as wonderful and lovely as it felt, there were moments when I hated what happened. ?I hated that I didn’t feel supported. I hated that I felt like I had to justify myself to everyone. ?I hated that I had to leave my hormone ladened life of sitting in a chair and doing nothing but nurse for inconsequential things.
Were there bumps on the road? Yes. ?Was I able to handle them with help? ?Yes. ?Did I love it when that was given lovingly and with support rather than in a begrudging manner? Yes.
So my wise words to you? ?Find someone to support you. ?Even on the days when you’re down. ?It happens. Find that person who will bring you back to reality and remind you of the love that is breastfeeding.
Other Mothers share their wisdom in this months blog carnival:
- ?What I wish I?d known then about breastfeeding? -Christina at Massachusetts Friends of Midwives
- What I wish I?d have known then -Whozat at Lucy & Ethel Have a Baby
- I wish I would have known -Maria at The Starr Family
- What I wish I?d known then ? My list for next time -Rebekah at Momma?s Angel
- You don?t have to grin and bear it -Melodie at Breastfeeding Mom Unite
- What I wish I?d known -Robin at Birth Activist
- 4 things I wish I?d known -Barbara at Three Girl Pile-up
- AP Principle #2: What I wish I?d known when I started breastfeeding- Lauren at Hobo Mama
- When breastfeeding begins badly, and what I should have done about it- Christina at The Milk Mama
- Wish I?d Heard More Good Things!- at Fancy Pancakes
- 15 Breastfeeding Facts I Wish I?d Known as a First Time Breastfeeding Mum- at Breastfeeding Mums
- When Breastfeeding Feels Wrong- Rita at Fighting off Frumpy
- Nursing Wisdom- Sarah at Cave Mother
- Trust Yourself And Your Body- at BlissTree
- Breastfeeding is Life Changing- Elita at Blacktating
- What I wish I?d Known Then- Claire at Mum Unplugged