Mother of Many: The Film

This was a very interesting animated film about the life of a hospital based midwife.  It’s in a film contest.  I’m interested to hear your thoughts.

This entry was posted in Birth Stories, Midwifery and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Mother of Many: The Film

1. Hillary says:

Wow! I’ve never seen anything like that before. It’s obvious a lot of work and effort was put into it.

There were a few moments that brought up some emotions for me. I thought it was interesting to have the mom’s get all red when they were pushing. It felt more angry than intense, but I know women birth in all different ways.

I’ll be thinking about this for a few days!

2. Free says:

Wow, it is interesting. Not sure what I think of it, will watch it again.

3. Erin says:

oh I loved this. And so did my children… who crept up next to me while I was watching.

The sounds felt very real and those intense red scenes added to the effect for me… I didn’t get anger – i felt more focus and hard hard work.

I hope to see more of these submissions. Super cool.

4. Kelli says:

I’ll have to watch again too. There were times where it was really pleasant, but there was something about it that also wasn’t very comforting either. Not sure exactly what. Maybe a combo of things. I did like the pushing scenes as well though.

5. Erin says:

I could be wrong, but the goal of this isn’t a “comforting” thing, right?
    This is depicting the life of a hospital-midwife…. which includes the stresses, machines, alarms, and lack of sleep.

I totally didn’t love that the baby didn’t “pink up” right away. That scene was “too long” for my liking — but it was normal, and OK — and I need to be reminded of that :-)

6. Jeanne says:

LOVED it! The animation is fantastic. I would like more warm, fuzzy emotion, but all in all it was very nicely done. More was depicted from the animation than I would have thought could be done.

7. That was cool! Thanks for sharing!

8. Pingback: Best of the Birth Blogs – Week Ending May 16th | ICAN Blog

9. Nicole D says:

I really liked it. I thought the red for pushing and for pushing partner away was very appropriate – it symbolized intensity for me. The noises were great, and I loved how it mixed the medical/measuring and charting with the natural/physical and emotional.

The belly mapping – way cool.

It did feel ‘sterile’ though – not homey, which kind of put me on edge, but it is re: a hospital based MW, not homebirth.

10. melissa says:

I really enjoyed this! Actually, my kids, ages 11, 4 and 2 did as well – asked to watch it twice in a row! Maybe because they’ve been involved in the birth of their baby sister? Anyway, I thought the laboring women and the in-utero babies were great. The obligatory Pitocin was present but besides that I thought it wasn’t too “hospital-ish”. Women were laboring in all different positions – birth ball, hands and knees, slow-dancing, etc. and actually birthing in different positions as well! The comforting presence of the midwife was very evident. She didn’t interfere with their births, but helped them focus, brought ice water, etc. But she also helped the distressed baby as well – a great combination of medical knowledge and woman-to-woman support.

I thought it was a great portrayal of a hospital midwife’s life and her satisfaction in helping bring so many babies into the world. As she wrote down the name of the newest baby in her book it was obvious that she cared deeply about each birth and each baby. Not just a job. I’m sure a film about a homebirth midwife would have looked different, but I thought this was great for what it was.

Also, I believe the sounds of laboring women was real audio from actual births. Very cool!!

11. Barbara Boehler says:

I couldn’t get it to work and I wanted to so badly. How do I watch this?

12. Sherri says:

Hi There,
    I would really like to watch this film but each time I click on it it says that the film is private :o (

Is there any way I can watch this?

Sherri.