Let’s imagine that we could capture the essence of pregnancy and birth today in a time capsule to be opened in 2112. Here is what I’d put in:
- A DVD full of the crazy TV births
- A birth ball
- A DONA International Training Manual
- The Lamaze 6 Healthy Birth Practice Papers
- A copy of Orgasmic Birth
- A copy of The Business of Being Born
- A cord clamp attached to instructions to wait to cut the cord
- An ICAN brochure
I’d hope that when the time capsule was opened, people would look at it and think that we were pioneers in helping reduce the cesarean rate and to lower maternal mortality by decreasing interventions when not needed. I’d hope that they’d watch the TV births DVD and find it frightening, the way I feel watching the Navy Training Birth video.
What would you put in the time capsule?
This is part of the 30 Day Blog Challenge for Health Activist Writer’s Month.
Photo © Fotolia